Pattaya-Revealed.com : Members Forum : Off-topic : Judge rules New York's ban on metal bats in high school games is constitutional

Old 08-28-2007, 10:02 PM   #1
mack

Foot soldier- Woosie Army

Shouts:

Default Judge rules New York's ban on metal bats in high school games is constitutional

What bats were made out of was never an issue when I played in school since it was well before the introduction of metal bats. It was all wood bats then. I think it's a cost factor as to why the high schools want to keep metal bats because even though they're more expensive than wood bats, they don't break like the wood ones. It makes more sense to me to have wooden bats since that's what they use in the Major Leagues. Plus there's no doubt the ball comes off the bat faster when the bat is metal or aluminum and a pitcher is more likely to get conked by a line drive.

Plus kids aren't used to the feeling of getting jammed with a fastball when they use a metal bat. The metal bats, they can still hit it hard off the handle...with wood you're standing there holding the handle after the bat shatters and you're watching the barrel fly down the line. In California they use the metal bats but I like what New York did and maybe it will spread across the country.

Judge rules New York's ban on metal bats in high school games is constitutional
By LARRY NEUMEISTER, Associated Press Writer
August 28, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- A judge on Tuesday upheld New York's ban on metal bats in high school baseball games, saying it was not his place to overturn a law that was approved by a local government with the public's safety in mind.

U.S. District Judge John G. Koeltl said there is no clear evidence that metal bats cause more serious injuries than wooden bats but added the City Council is entitled to make the judgment that the risk is too great.

"The protection of the health and safety of high school-age students is entitled to great weight," the judge said. "While the record does not include clear empirical evidence showing that more serious injuries would occur without the ordinance, it is the city's legislative assessment that the risk is too great."

The judge added: "In short, the judgment that high school baseball players' safety is more important than higher batting averages and more offense is a classic legislative judgment that the City Council could constitutionally make."

The law is set to take effect Sept. 1. The ban had been challenged by an organization representing national high school baseball coaches, several companies that make metal bats, and coaches and parents of New York City high school baseball players.

The law resulted from claims that today's metal bats cause balls to go farther and faster, heightening the risk of injuries. In April, the City Council overrode a veto of the legislation by Mayor Michael Bloomberg. The lawsuit was then filed.

During hearings, former Mets pitcher John Franco testified that when he throws batting practice for some high school teams that use non-wood bats, the ball seems to come back at him as soon as it leaves his hand. "I don't even see it coming at me. It's dangerous. It's very, very dangerous. ... I'm speaking from someone who is standing on the mound for 22 years, and I can see the difference," he testified.

David A. Ettinger, a lawyer for the challengers, said legislators needed to provide some scientific evidence that the metal bats are unsafe. Manufacturers then could adjust the makeup of metal bats to make them safer than some wooden bats, he said.

Ettinger said Tuesday he had just received the ruling and could not comment yet.

The lawsuit was filed by USA Baseball, a Durham, N.C.-based national governing body for several baseball associations; the National High School Baseball Coaches Association, based in Tempe, Ariz.; Easton Sports Inc.; Wilson Sporting Goods Co.; Rawlings Sporting Goods Co.; Hillerich & Bradsby Co.; and several fathers of ballplayers.

Updated on Tuesday, Aug 28, 2007 1:40 pm, EDT
mack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 05:24 AM   #2
irishmic

Advanced Member

Shouts:

Yes Little league in our day was all wood bats, jammed by a fastball the bat would give you a "funny" feeling up your arms. Our little league was so Poor, we would nail the splintered bats back together and wrap with Black electrical tape. I remember one of my favorite bats "Rico Carty edition" getting splintered beyond repair, my batting average suffered tremondously. BTW anyone see the last inning of the Little League Championship, great entertainment, the way baseball should be played (without the metal bats though) The Georgia little league could beat my beloved Pittsburgh Pirates.:lol:
irishmic is offline   Reply With Quote