Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-05-2023, 11:24 PM   #23
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
I don't think Warner realises that all he will really be remembered for is Sandpapergate. No matter what his career stats are they will be completely eclipsed by his role in Sandpapergate. For some strange reason he seems to think that's all forgotten about now. The rare few times I've seen him on TV he comes across as a thick, arrogant cunt. Which is what he is.

Mitch did not miss him about this either. I am picking up more snippets from the article from various sources

Quote:

Johnson, who played alongside Warner for five years, also delivered a savage sledge at Warner comparing his farewell to the end of Steve Waugh’s career, where fans took red hankies to wave in Waugh’s final Test.

“What will fans bring for Warner? Bunnings would sell out of sandpaper,” Johnson wrote.
(Bunnings is a large hardware chain in Australia)

Comments on social media flying everywhere as you can imagine.

Many were about this comment from our Paki opener

Quote:

Warner’s opening partner Usman Khawaja said his fellow left-hander had paid his dues for the Sandpaper-gate scandal.

Khawaja said he “strongly disagreed” with Johnson’s column, adding Warner and former skipper Steve Smith, who was also banned for a year, had paid for their mistakes.

“Davey Warner and Steve Smith are heroes in my mind,” Khawaja said.

“They missed a year of cricket through dark times in Australian cricket but they have paid their dues.

Calling Smith and Warner heroes did not go over too well

And what about this one from Warner's manager?

Quote:
Warner is yet to respond to the explosive remarks but his manager James Erskine has called Johnson “ignorant”.

“This reminds me of backseat drivers, they’re bloody annoying, and quite frankly, we don’t need it,” Erskine told SEN. “(Johnson) is basically making comments that I think are incendiary.

“Come up with an alternative solution, pal. If he thinks basically three people did Sandpaper-gate, then he should go to the moon for holiday. I mean, it’s just a joke.”

Like other countries, Australia has an ageing men's Test cricket team. Eight who played in Newlands in 2018 will probably start in the First Test against Pakistan next week.

Warner
Khawaja
Smith
Marsh M.
Cummins
Starc
Hazelwood
Lyon

In a few more years, most of them will be gone forever

Thank fuck. We can have our Test team back. Something to be proud of again

ferocious (12-06-2023)