Thread: Cricket Rambles
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2023, 11:12 AM   #639
bazzap

Super Moderator

Shouts:

Good onya Mitch!! Mitch Johnson rips into David Warner, one of the greatest wankers that has ever worn the Baggy Green

From "The West Australian" today which is unfortunately behind a paywall

This from the Cricinfo website

Quote:

"It's been five years and David Warner has still never really owned the ball-tampering scandal," Johnson wrote. "Now the way he is going out is underpinned by more of the same arrogance and disrespect to our country.

"As we prepare for David Warner's farewell series, can somebody please tell me why?

"Why a struggling Test opener gets to nominate his own retirement date. And why a player at the centre of one of the biggest scandals in Australian cricket history warrants a hero's send-off?

"Warner certainly isn't Australia's Test captain and never deserved to be for that matter. In fact, he ends his career under a lifetime leadership ban.

"Yes, he has a decent overall record and some say is one of our greatest opening bats. But his past three years in Test cricket have been ordinary, with a batting average closer to what a tailender would be happy with.

"It's the ball-tampering disgrace in South Africa that many will never forget. Although Warner wasn't alone in Sandpapergate, he was at the time a senior member of the team and someone who liked to use his perceived power as a 'leader'.

"Does this really warrant a swansong, a last hurrah against Pakistan that was forecast a year in advance as if he was bigger than the game and the Australian cricket team?

"Granted he made his double century against South Africa at the MCG last summer, but they were the only runs he had scored in years. Leading into this year's Ashes series that was the only time he had reached 50 in his previous 17 Test innings."

Some fan responses are here. As you expect from a Western Australian newspaper, there is no love for Warner, especially after what happened to Justin Langer

Fans Pile into David Warner

"Thank you Mitch! I may partly change my opinion of DW if he ever apologises to Cam Bancroft - but until then he will never rate. It will be fitting if Cam replaces DW as opener as he deserves,” Robyn C said.

Matthew W added: “Warner gets to choose his send-off because he holds the bowlers, including Pat Cummins, to ransom. There is no way the bowlers didn’t know what was going on with the sandpaper on the ball. He will probably release the tell-all book down the road anyway when the money starts running out. He definitely does not deserve to be in the team on form.”

“Absolutely agree with the article. The arrogance of the guy. All he has waffled on about lately is his retirement and how much he is looking forward to his on air TV role. The guy cannot put a decent sentence together without reverting back to himself. I certainly won’t be listening to the guy,” John T wrote.

Christine C labelled Warner “a cheat” and said he “should never have played for Australia again”.

Music to my ears

Frankie (12-03-2023)